Ballantyne home explosion likely caused by gas leak inside the house, officials say

  • Source: The Charlotte Observer
  • Published: 07/03/2019 11:47 PM

The explosion that destroyed a Ballantyne home Tuesday, killing one woman, was most likely caused by a natural gas leak inside the house, Charlotte Fire Department Fire Marshal Jon Leonard announced Wednesday afternoon. The incident caused about $5 million in damages to the house and surrounding area, Charlotte Fire Department Battalion Chief Matt Westover said. He said investigators are still trying to figure out what exactly went wrong inside the house and caused the explosion. Police have identified the woman who was killed as 58-year-old Rania Karam, according to a Charlotte-Mecklenburg police report. She owned the home on James Jack Lane, county records show. Her husband, Dr. Jebran Karam, 59, was also in the house at the time of the explosion and survived, police and fire officials said. He was airlifted to an area hospital, Charlotte Fire Department officials said Tuesday.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe