Five people are safe after a young man woke his family while a fire was spreading in their Knightdale home. Authorities got the call about the house fire on Maurepas Drive, off of Hodge Road, at 1:23 a.m. Firefighters arrived to find heavy flames. Authorities said the fire started outside the house and spread up the home and into the attic. A man living in the home said his son saw the flames and woke up his family members, who, along with a dog, were able to get out safely. Authorities said the fire had spread to the two bedrooms where the residents were sleeping after they had escaped.
No injuries were reported.
The home had heavy smoke and water damage.
An investigation is ongoing.