A fire that started in the back of a garbage truck Thursday morning on King Richard Court in Jacksonville was extinguished quickly while the trash was removed and the cul-de-sac was cleaned.
The City of Jacksonville sanitation truck is also back on the road and finishing their pickup route, according to Sanitation Superintendent Michael Connors.
Connors said the fire started due in part to lithium batteries being thrown in the trash that was loaded into the truck. It is illegal to dispose of lead-acid batteries in a landfill, according to the N.C. Department of Environmental Quality. Once the batteries were pushed into the back of the truck with other flammable waste the batteries combusted, according to Connors.