Jacksonville trash truck fire caused by lead-acid batteries

  • Source: Daily News, Jacksonville
  • Published: 11/14/2019 09:24 AM

A fire that started in the back of a garbage truck Thursday morning on King Richard Court in Jacksonville was extinguished quickly while the trash was removed and the cul-de-sac was cleaned. The City of Jacksonville sanitation truck is also back on the road and finishing their pickup route, according to Sanitation Superintendent Michael Connors. Connors said the fire started due in part to lithium batteries being thrown in the trash that was loaded into the truck. It is illegal to dispose of lead-acid batteries in a landfill, according to the N.C. Department of Environmental Quality. Once the batteries were pushed into the back of the truck with other flammable waste the batteries combusted, according to Connors.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and DailyDispatch.com. (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe