A small hotel fire evacuated guests Tuesday night.
Around 6:15 p.m., 45 Durham and Morrisville firefighters responded to the SpringHill Suites by Marriott at 920 Slater Road.
Firefighters saw smoke coming from the lower front corner of the four-story hotel. Guests were evacuated as crews pulled a hose toward the fire and began to extinguish it.
The fire was extinguished in 10 minutes. Part of the hotel was damaged by the smoke, but most guests were able to return to their rooms.
No one was injured during the fire, which is under investigation. Durham firefighters reminded the public that placing items that can burn too close to heating equipment or placing heating equipment too close to things that can burn, such as upholstered furniture, clothing, mattress, or bedding, is the leading cause of fatal home fires.