Dog dies in Omaha house fire; home didn't have smoke detectors

  • Source: Omaha World-Herald
  • Published: 06/11/2019 08:10 AM

A dog died early Tuesday in a house fire in South Omaha, officials said. A call about the fire sent crews to a single-story home near Monroe Street and South 25th Plaza about 2:20 a.m. Firefighters spotted smoke and flames coming from the front of the house, Omaha fire officials said. A resident of the house was able to get out before firefighters arrived, but the person's dog died in the fire. The fire was extinguished in less than half an hour. Officials determined that improperly discarded smoking materials started the fire. The house, at 2506 Monroe St., was valued at $132,000. Fire officials estimated the damage to the structure and its contents at $65,000. The home did not have smoke detectors. Smoke detectors are available for free and can be installed by the Omaha Fire Department.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe