A house fire in Grand Island sent an elderly woman to the hospital Saturday afternoon.
According to the Grand Island Fire Department (GIFD), smoke was coming from a house at 322 West 8th. at approximately 1 p.m.
Upon arrival, crews found an elderly female upstairs. Four dogs and four cats were also in the residence. Authorities said eight other people live in the house but were not there at the time of the fire.
Firefighters were able to rescue the woman and she was transported to St. Francis. GIFD said the woman suffered from smoke inhalation and will be monitored overnight.
Fire marshals determined that the cause of the fire was from hot embers from smoking material in the basement bedroom.