Virginia News
CHANGE STATE

Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Follow Up: Richmond Fire Lt. shielded 5-year-old son from gunfire that killed her


The family of the Richmond Fire Lieutenant killed by gunfire thanksgiving night, spoke out about their incredible loss, Tuesday morning, at the Richmond Fire Department Headquarters. Lt. Ashley Berry’s father, Waverly Berry, was surrounded by members of the Richmond Fire Department, as he revealed that his daughter shielded her five-year-old son from the bullets. Lt. Berry and her son were standing on Sunnyside Avenue in Hopewell, after celebrating Thanksgiving, when she was shot and killed. Waverly Berry said Lt. Berry, a mother-of-three, protected her young son from the hail of gunfire that was senselessly fired at them, pushing him to the ground to shield him. Lt. Berry's father recounted the painful moments in the emergency room, that night, when as his grandson turned to him and said, "The bad people shot mommy."
WBRC-TV Fox 6 RIchmond

Viral video documents Montgomery County dog rescue


Shadow, a Montgomery County dog rescued in a now-viral video, is lucky to be alive after getting stuck on a cliff in Blacksburg. “We got a call from dispatch and they said they had an animal stuck on a cliff down at the rock quarry,” said Deputy Maven Ogle. “Low and behold there was a dog about 50 feet on the side of a cliff.” Ogle and Chief Ray Helmick of Montgomery County Animal Control are just two of the officials who came to Shadow’s rescue when he got trapped at the Virginia Tech Quarry on October 11. “I would assume he was traveling across the top of the rock quarry there, in loose rock and he slipped and fell down and luckily the ledge had caught him,” Helmick said. Helmick said Shadow is an escape artist, and he managed to break loose from an enclosure at home.
WDBJ7 Roanoke News

Christmas tree shortage affecting fundraising for Orange firefighters


Orange Volunteer Fire Company (OVFC) will not be offering Christmas trees for sale this year because of a national shortage. The department typically brings in more than $10,000 from the annual fundraiser. The tree shortage is being blamed on the recession of 2008: That year farmers planted fewer seedlings, and it takes around 10 years for a tree to grow to full size. Orange Volunteer Fire Company (FILE) Orange Volunteer Fire Company (FILE) (Source: WVIR) OVFC found out over the summer that its supplier didn't have enough trees, so volunteers spent months working with groups in North Carolina and Pennsylvania to find another farm. Recently, a farm willing to supply their trees notified the department it had oversold.
WVIR-TV NBC29


Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Old Rustburg flea market building a ’complete loss’ following fire


A structure fire erupted in a building on Elmwood Lane in Rustburg on Monday afternoon, destroying much of the building and its contents. The Evington Volunteer Fire Department received the call at about 2:20 p.m., according to Fire Chief William Hall Jr. When crews arrived, they found the “pole barn” heavily engulfed in fire. Both the heavy wind and Styrofoam stored inside the building fueled the flames. “Right now it is under control, it’s just a lot of overhaul that we’re going to have to do,” Hall said. There were no injuries or fatalities in the fire, but Hall called it “a complete loss.” Still unsure how the fire started, it currently is under investigation by the Campbell County Fire Marshal’s Office.
Lynchburg News & Advance

Three dogs rescued from barn fire in Campbell County


VIDEO: A large barn caught fire Monday along Elmwood Lane in Campbell County. According to fire crews, a volunteer firefighter noticed smoke and went to investigate the structure. The firefighter said that wind caused the fire to spread quickly, and that within three minutes it engulfed the whole building. The owners of the building said it was used as a storage facility, and that the fire started in the electric room. No injuries have been reported. Three dogs who regularly are kept in the barn were rescued. Officials are still investigating the cause and origin of the fire.
WDBJ- TV 7 Roanoke News

Virginia girl, 6, delivers pet oxygen masks to fire departments


Six-year-old Carly Gray-Sharon saw a need this holiday season and went to work. Last September, Carly opened a lemonade stand to raise money for local firefighters to have oxygen masks for pets. After $300 from lemonade sales, along with a donation from Calvary Virginia Beach Church, she purchased the special oxygen masks for pets. Firefighters use these masks to treat animals rescued from structure fires. On Sunday, Carly and her family delivered the masks to fire departments across Virginia Beach. “I thought about how sad I would be if something happened to my dog (in a fire),” she said when asked why she decided to buy the masks.
WRIC-TV ABC 8 Richmond

Albemarle County home destroyed by fire


VIDEO: Albemarle County Fire Rescue was dispatched at 8:52 pm on December 1, 2019, for a structure fire involving a single-family home in the Southwood Community. The first engine arrived on the scene eight minutes later and reported a single-family home with fire visible from all four sides of the structure as well as a passenger vehicle on fire next to the residence. The fire was brought under control quickly, protecting adjoining structures, however, units remained on scene for three hours ensuring all hot spots were extinguished. The residents were home at the time of the fire and all were able to escape unharmed. The home, the contents and a vehicle are a total loss, valued at approximately $50,000. The cause of the fire remains under investigation at this time however it has been classified as accidental.
WVIR-TV NBC29

Westover Apartment Fire Displaces Residents from Six Apartments


A fire Monday evening at an apartment building in the Westover area caused significant damage, displacing residents from six apartments. The fire broke out shortly before 5:30 p.m. at a two-story garden apartment building on the 1100 block of N. Kensington Street. Arriving firefighters found flames shooting out of the rear of the building. The blaze started in the living room of a first-floor apartment, but extensive smoke damage made five other apartments around it uninhabitable, according to Arlington County Fire Department spokesman Capt. Justin Tirelli. The fire caused an estimated $1 million in damages, Tirelli said, adding that the cause is being investigating by the Fire Marshal’s Office. No injuries were reported.
ARLnow.com







FREE QUICK SUBSCRIBE
Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe