Dog credited with alerting Chesterfield homeowner of garage fire

  • Source: WRIC-TV ABC 8 Richmond
  • Published: 01/09/2019 04:51 AM

A dog is being credited with alerting a Chesterfield homeowner that their garage was on fire early Wednesday morning. Firefighters were called to the blaze around 5 a.m. on Old Mesa Drive. Neighbors called the Chesterfield Fire Department after hearing an "explosion," which fire officials say was from equipment in the garage. No injuries were reported, according to crews on scene, and the fire was marked under control in roughly two hours. Firefighters told 8News the homeowner was woken up by their dog to discover their detachable garage was filled with flames. A part of the garage's roof was damaged, as well as a car and equipment in the garage. The cause of the fire was not immediately known. The Chesterfield Fire Department thanked neighbors for quickly alerting them, as crews were able to prevent the fire from spreading.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe