All two-legged and four-legged occupants of a Virginia Beach home were able to make it out safely following a fire on Tuesday morning.
The fire happened around 5:40 a.m. in the 5500 block of Lambdin Arch. The initial call came in saying the fire had started in the kitchen and smoke was showing from the two-story house.
Nextdoor neighbor Samantha said the homeowner ran over to her house when she smelled the smoke.
“If she wouldn’t have woken up and if she wouldn’t have smelled the smoke, and if it literally had came over here, oh god this whole neighborhood would’ve went up in flames," said Essey.
One pet dog, Tinkerbell, made it outside of the home on its own, while firefighters had to go in and rescue a second dog, named Boomer, and a pet ferret, named Echo.