Delaware News
CHANGE STATE

Friday, March 22, 2019

Update: Injured Minquas firefighter is recovering, and hopes to be fighting fires again


A firefighter injured in a March 14, 2019 fire in Mill Creek is recovering, but his family believes he will be back. "Didn't think we'd ever get that phone call," said Lynn Smiley about her 23-year-old son, David. David was fighting the fire in Mill Creek, when he was injured falling through the floor before becoming entrapped. He put out a mayday call during the fire at a century-old home on Mill Creek Road near the Delcastle Golf Course. David's father is also a firefighter and a paramedic, and he was able to speak with another firefighter on the scene. "I asked the paramedic questions, is he talking? They said yes. Is he walking? They said yes. To me those are two big plusses," said David's dad. David has been visited by many firefighters at the Crozer Chester Burn Unit including former Wilmington Firefighter Brad Speakman, who was injured in the 2016 Camby Park fire. Some of the firefighters have left food and started fundraiser's for David. His mom appreciates the support.
Delaware 105.9 FM


Thursday, March 21, 2019

Cutting torch mishap causes $500,000 in fire damage to Hartly property


A man trying to cut a bolt with a cutting torch accidentally ignited a broken lawnmower, setting fire to a home near Hartly on Wednesday, the state fire marshal's office said. The heavy fire caused $500,000 in damages to the residential property in the 5900 block of Westville Road. The person was outside working near the pole barns with a cutting torch, that caught the lawnmower on fire. said Assistant State Fire Marshal Michael Chionchio. The flames spread to the two pole barns and a mobile home on the property. Firefighters responded around noon and extinguished the blaze, Chionchio said. There were no reported injuries.
DelawareOnline.com

Smoke from electrical panel forces evacuation of Legislative Hall in Dover


Occupants of Legislative Hall in Dover were forced outside during a brief evacuation Wednesday morning, according to multiple sources. There was smoke coming from an electrical panel, according to Department of Safety and Homeland Security spokeswoman Wendy Hudson. Legislators, aides and others with business at Legislative Hall were evacuated for about 30 minutes while fire personnel checked the building, she said. They have since been allowed to go back inside and return to work.
DelawareOnline.com







FREE QUICK SUBSCRIBE
Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe